Skip to main content
Login to unlock Email share
The Lady Sylvia was built in 1937. She was brought to North America by the Union Steamship Co. and re-named Lady Rose. The Lady Rose served for the Royal Canadian Army Service Corps in WWII, and was then later sold to Coast Ferries Ltd.
The Lady Rose was first brought to work the Alberni Inlet in 1960 when Dick McMinn & Jon Monrufet leased her for their new company, Alberni Marine Transport Ltd.
McMinn & Monrufet finally purchased the vessel in 1969 and continued to operate a freight, passenger, and mail service from Port Alberni to Bamfield & Ucluelet which continued until 1979.
Brooke George puchased the Lady Rose & Alberni Marine Transport Ltd in 1982. By 1997, Roland Smith became a partner and the company was now known as Lady Rose Marine Services.
In 2008, Mike & Pauline Surrell purchased Lady Rose Marine Services. The Lady Rose was sold in 2011 to Jamie's Whaling Sation of Tofino, where it still currently moored.