Skip to main content
Login to unlock Email share
"There weren’t a lot of books at the time about
growing up in Brooklyn. I didn’t know a lot of writers who were writing about a girl who was
African American. I never read a book where there was a deaf kid in the book, and I never read a
book where even there was a single mom and a grandmother and that was family."
"I want to put onto the page people who I didn’t get to see on the
page when I was growing up reading fiction."
* Lived in South Carolina as a small child before moving to Brooklyn, NY.
* Born on February 12, 1963 in Columbus, Ohio
* Started her first novel, "Last Summer with Maizon," as an undergraduate at Adelphi University
* Told a lot of stories as a kid - "Not 'Once upon a time' stories but basically, outright lies."
* Lives in Bushwick, Brooklyn with her partner and their two children
-- Jacqueline Woodson, Interviewed at TeachingBooks.net
* Grew up hearing oral histories about her family's history of slavery & rebellion